Last night, I was trying to describe the Piano Disc I recently inherited and couldn’t think of the words for a technology that was formerly at the center of my life. I was like, “you know those things, and they’re in hard plastic but on the inside it was sort of like film but no one uses them anymore and they had data on them?” and the listening party was like, “no, I have no idea what that…wait, I think it’s called a floppy disc?” While googling around for other outmoded gizmos, I ran across The Museum of Endangered Sounds. It isn’t a brick and mortar museum like one might imagine, but rather a virtual place to take your kids when you’re trying to explain what a dial tone was.
Y’all are Loving:
It’s Still Here Somewhere!
From the Annals of History:
Cannot Shut Up About:afghanistan art basketball beer book club books booze celebrities charleston cocktails college cooking crafts design DIY drinking drinks earnest easy easy peasy fantasy life fantasy life update Fashion feminism food friends fun fun fun funny getting out gifts happy hour history holidays home interior design Japan kentucky kentucky derby lazy sunday links literature long reads Louisville love mad men mississippi music my work national poetry month nostalgia parties photography poetry pseudoscience reading recipe recipes shame shopping snacks south carolina so you know tea tea party tea party tuesday the freakin weekend the hairpin the new yorker things i like travel video videos weekends wine you should know how to do this
- RT @pronounced_ing: If anyone has any embarrassing news or revelations now might be the time to put it out there, just saying. 2 weeks ago
- Witnessing for myself is a thought experiment I've conducted more than once. I'd be terrible. newyorker.com/culture/jia-to… Thx, @jiatolentino. 2 weeks ago
- RT @TaraEAnderson: I think I'll be revising my bio to include "Bono yelled at me once, and William Shatner has me blocked on Twitter." 😂 1 month ago
- Pretty good primer on emotional labor: english.emmaclit.com/2017/05/20/you… 1 month ago
- On the one hand, I'm very excited for my Derby party Saturday. On the other hand, I'm very depressed to miss the Derby. 1 month ago