It’s been an up-and-down couple weeks, huh? Glad Mercury is no longer in retrograde or whatever. Enjoy! Let’s hang out here tomorrow, okay?
- First things first: I talked to my friend Larry, who is an aid worker in the Philippines, about what might be the best tack to take to help the typhoon victims. He said these guys are the real deal, and are doing permanent, important good. If everyone who read my blog gave PHP500 (about the cost of a fancy cocktail at a nice bar), we’d be able to give meaningful help to people who really need it.
- Another charitable thing to consider as the season of plenty is upon us: What’s it like to feed your family from a food bank?
- There is no scenario in which I want to hear anyone say “make love” so this Woody Allen supercut is the worst thing ever. I made it through about 30 seconds before I had to make it stop.
- I was pretty irritated about the new BuzzFeed Books policy of “only nice reviews” and I guess the New Yorker was, too.
- Charleston City Paper is pushing back against the homogenized “aw-shucks pansouthernism” that is creeping in.
- Do you know this about me? I’m casually obsessed with televangelism and performative religious cultures (SURPRISE.).
- This is just a weird Wikipedia page.
- Usually, I don’t go in for fondant icing, but I could make an exception for this beaut.
- Edgar Allan Poe was a true freak, and that’s a fact.
- As an inveterate, unrepentant, unreconstructed set list stealer, this speaks to my heart.