I wanted to go get a sticky bun but it’s so cold I can’t bear to get out of bed and consider braving the walk to my pants (to say nothing of outside), so I made you this list of things to read instead.
- Padgett Powell came screaming into Charleston this week, telling folks stories about arsenic poisoning and lord knows what else, so I found this for you to read in the event you already got through Edisto and Interrogative Mood this week. I was sad I didn’t get to meet him, but at least now I can preserve my illusions about what he is like in person.
- The Temple of the Minibar, a venture as expensive as a psychoanalytic seance.
- On pre-marriage camps for women in Nazi Germany.
- A helpful guide for anyone who is coming to my house for Christmas or Hanukkah (now with 100% more Thanksgiving!).
- A cake of his choosing and my undying love to the first person who can teach me divination through cheese curds.
- I’m not going to tell you what this is, except to say elves are involved.
- Stuff you were wrong about: A List Not By Your Mother/Husband/Annoying Mansplainer/DMV Clerk
- I talked a lot about this on Twitter this week, but the Esquire article about changes in cancer treatments/Iraq/Mississippi/big data/hope is the finest thing the internet has offered us in a minute or two.
- Okay, great! When will Charleston International be receiving theirs?
- We’re all overwhelmed by JFK things this week, but this is interesting and macabre and I hadn’t heard it, so I bet you haven’t, either.