It’s our first lazy Sunday of 2014! I really did it up by sleeping 17 hours. Enjoy these links!
- Watch this urban skiing video set in Detroit, but do it on mute.
- Anything that says my workplace could be muppetier is a thing I’m going to take very seriously. Viva la Fraggle! Viva Henson!
- Once, my sister threw a magazine at my head and accused me of ruining her life, but never did she assault me for eating too many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so we’re ahead of someone, at least.
- Bummer and Lazarus. I’ll say no more.
- Found this awesome, fourteen-year-old profile of Martha Stewart in the New Yorker, written by none other than Joan Didion herself. Say what you will about how much you’d like to have a beer with Martha, but she gets. stuff. done. and knows how to do seemingly everything.
- Life lesson: If you’re ever an extra on a movie and they tell you they’ll pay you double to pretend to be a couple making out in a crowded pool scene, DO IT!
- “God is just as invisible.” I like how a high-ranking official of the state will neither confirm nor deny his own certainty about the existence of hidden people.
- Why is Spinoza the sexed-up philosopher? By which I mean, when will this be available in English?
- I will miss no opportunity to tell people that Rob Sheffield, David Berman, Steve Malkmus, and I all worked at the same community radio station at different times, and are all distinguished alums of Mr. Jefferson’s School. Here, they chat about UVA in Rolling Stone.
- In 2014, I’m going to let someone bully me into going to karaoke, but I’m going to do it on my terms, which is to say, I will come armed with lots of facts about karaoke history and tell them to you loudly.