I’m still nursing a tryptophan hangover, so you’ll have to fend for yourselves.
- URGENT MATTER OF NATIONAL IMPORT: Watch this before it goes away because of copyrighty nonsense and ruins all my fun.
- Actually, Thanksgiving food does taste better, according to Science.
- I knew someone in college who was really, really into lucid dreaming and he was always pressing books on me and trying to talk quietly to me until I fell asleep/was asleep and explaining how to take control of my astral plains or whatever and maybe he was on to something.
- Lettering does not equal type, and here are the distinctions. (This is very interesting, contrary to the way I set it up.)
- I was completely and utterly hooked after the first line of this excellent article about the international art dealing community.
- Albert Camus killed JFK.
- Almost everyone my age who is interested in food credits Alton Brown of Good Eats with feeding that kernel of curiosity in the late 90s/early 00s. He didn’t have the stupid construct that I was following along (wasn’t allowed to use stove) or that I could buy expensive ingredients (couldn’t earn money because childhood), and instead focused on teaching you how things worked, and this is what made him so great.
- Paul Walker died last night, and this is a mediation on fame, masculine beauty in the extreme, and dying young. If you were born between 1985-1992 and you say that Paul Walker + Usher were not completely formative in your understanding of your own sexuality, you’re a liar and I want you to stop reading Chronderlust.
- Quick reminder: The internet is not anonymous and you are not so smart, even you, Miss OBGYN Smartypants/Drug Dealer.
- I can’t bring myself to click this, since I’m already afraid of EVERYTHING, but maybe you will want to. Even the lead up is creepy. I need to lie down.
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged art, bon jovi, celebrity, conspiracy theories, creepy things, food, paul walker, prince william, silk road, taylor swift, videos
Have a great week, everyone.
I know, knockout status. Like the copy room sign in the background? I’m really living it up.
After your bed, there is but one piece of furniture with which you have a real relationship, and that is your desk. I spend a solid 9.5-12 hours a day at mine, and yet I always avoid really committing. This week, I added three major things to make my mark on my open-plan office workstation: Suki the fake taxidermied rhino, courtesy of my best friend, a not-that-cool-but-kinda-cool organizer, and lastly, gorgeous, perfect flowers from Roadside Blooms here in Charleston. Their model is really cool: green, sustainable flower arrangements that are based on what’s available locally in any given season. You just say, “I’d like small, medium, or large” and they bring it to you in their vintage British mail truck. I know. I know! But the best part is that they were a surprise, all the way from Afghanistan! Nothing quite like a no-reason-at-all pretty to make you feel like everything is going great.
How do you personalize your desk at work? Pictures? A candle? A terrarium?
Posted in For Fun
Tagged afghanistan, art, charleston, cube lyfe, fantasy life update, flowers, friends, lucky girl, shop local, surprises, things i like
You know what the best part of a three-day weekend is? A four day work week comes along with that. Enjoy your day.
- I could lose hours looking at this scientific flavor map.
- Andrew Bird talks about the puzzle of writing a love song in the New York Times!
- Consider the abandoned art museum.
- Buying wine based on the (back) label.
- A modern dictionary of linguistic signifiers, modeled on Flaubert’s (I swear, this is actually funny).
- E.B. White and James Thurber: hilarious, a little smutty, and complete with line drawings.
- This will probably disappear from the internet very shortly, so watch it ASAP.
- I did not know that Ed Hardy is a serious and academic artist, and I am sad about how sad he is about his big mistake.
- I could not be more bored with the Miley Cyrus “controversy” but I don’t want to be like “meanwhile, in Syria” or “Trayvon Martin” about it, so here are some actual strippers critiquing her VMA performance.
- Ladies and gentlemen, the only Marvin Gaye-related thing you will ever, ever want to hear ever again.
Posted in For Fun
Tagged andrew bird, art, e.b. white, ed hardy, food, language, lazy sunday, links, marvin gaye, miley cyrus, strippers, wine
Elizabeth Moran takes photos of people’s workplaces, studios, and cubicles. Her latest project depicts the custom-designed sets of Kink.com, a.k.a. the workplace of porn stars, who work hard and pay taxes like everyone else. Don’t worry! This is totally safe for work. Is it weird that I want to play in the balloon fish tank? It looks like a more fragile version of a ballpit.
The field has been announced, but this is the race I’d truly love to see.
Via the geniuses at Kentucky for Kentucky.
Limited edition prints of this Hunter Thompson-themed dash are available at Kentuckyforkentucky.com and are $30!